In search of good food

I have always been keen on good food, both professionally (I work in a hotel) as well as a hobby. I have posted a fair share of reviews on different sites but I thought it is time to start my own blog.



As I live in Cambodia, this blog will be very much focused on South East Asia. I like all kinds of food, so expect to see anything here from a 5-star hotel to a roadside noodle kitchen.


Sunday, June 13, 2010

La Volpaia

A fairly recent addition to the Italian restaurant scene, this place is not far from the museum. It certainly has potential as it is set in a garden, well away from the road. As with a previous visit, we were the only guests when we arrived and we had to rouse the staff. I sympathize though, the town is completely dead at the moment and the location that far from Pub Street can't help. However, once up and running the staff were extremely courteous and efficient, certainly an asset to the restaurant.


The restaurant is well set back
As the garden wasn't really set up, we decided to sit inside. A mistake really as the air conditioning was not working and there was a very musty smell because of that. I suspect that the A/C does work but staff have order to switch it off to cut costs. The restaurant interior has all the charm of a railway station waiting room ca. 1950; the atmosphere was not helped by Kenny G coming over the loudspeakers at full blast. Not sure where Kenny G's elevator music fits in with an Italian restaurant?



Please hire an Interior Designer!

Starters range from USD 3.50 - 8.00, Pasta goes from USD 5.50 to 8.50, and Pizzas go for anywhere between USD 6.00 and 8.50. They only have 3 meat dishes and one fish dish; the meat starts at a whopping USD 16.00 and the Salmon Steak goes for USD 14.00. Soft drinks are USD 1.50 and beers are USD 2.00 - 2.50. There is no wine list (in an Italian restaurant) though they did have house wine on offer. The beer was also a little too warm, can't be because the restaurant was that busy/

The missus had what she always has in an Italian restaurant: Carpaccio. This was supposed to come with rocket leaves, but they were out; so it came with a mixed salad instead, this for USD 6.50. I am no big Pizza fan, but as I was not too impressed with the meat the first time I went there, I ordered a Pizza "With four different kinds of Cheese" at USD 8.75.


Just like during our first meal there, our orders came well apart; amazing considering we were still the only people. The first time my wife had Carpaccio in this restaurant, it was quite good. However, whilst the meat the first time round seemed to come from (imported) fillet, this time the source must have been a water buffalo that died of old age; the Carpaccio had the consistency of chewing gum. Fair enough, but if the owner decides to downgrade the meat, he should do the same with the prize. On a positive note, the shaved Parmesan cheese on top of the Carpaccio was very good.


Nice presentation, tough meat

Not much to say about the Pizza. After all, it is not easy to mess up a Pizza. The cook certainly wasn't stingy on the cheese, which I like. He was a tad stingy on the baking time, which I like less. Now I know that some people like a thick base, I prefer Pizzas (if I eat one, which rarely happens) with as thin a base as possible; if I want a slice of bread, I'll ask for one. At the La Volpaia the bases are paper-thin, which is fine with me. The spicy oil they had as an optional topping was excellent and packed a good punch.



Pizza and Beer, staple diet world-wide.


Conclusion: Yet another restaurant with wasted potential. Great spot if you are taking out the secretary and don't want anyone to see you, not the best spot in town for good Italian food. I think the owner has a problem positioning the restaurant: the menu is that of a cheap Pizzeria, the prizes on the other hand are anything but. Get that right, work on the interior design, and this could really become a first-rate place, especially if he can keep the same staff.
Rating (out of 5):
Service: *****
Food: ***
Ambiance: */**** (Inside/outside)
Value for money: **
Recommended: No/Yes (Inside/Outside)

No comments:

Post a Comment