In search of good food

I have always been keen on good food, both professionally (I work in a hotel) as well as a hobby. I have posted a fair share of reviews on different sites but I thought it is time to start my own blog.



As I live in Cambodia, this blog will be very much focused on South East Asia. I like all kinds of food, so expect to see anything here from a 5-star hotel to a roadside noodle kitchen.


Thursday, May 19, 2011

Mumtaz Indian Restaurant, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Mumtaz Indian Restaurant
226 Bui Vien Street, District 1
Ho Chi Minh City
Tel.: +84 8 371 767

I have tried a couple off Indian restaurants in the Backpacker Zoo that is Pham Ngu Lao; with varying results. The Little India was crap and the Punjabi fluctuates a fair bit.

More by accident then design I stumbled into the "Mumtaz Indian Restaurant" today; at the far end of Bui Vien Street but still close (too close) to the dreadlocked banana pancake-eaters that throng this area. Luckily, these hordes tend to go to the "real" local restaurants because they are a) cheap and b) local (except that the only Vietnamese in there are the staff). The clientele at the Mumtaz appeared to be mostly Indian expatriates; never a bad sign.


Pretty big menu, 20-odd pages.

Admittedly, the Mumtaz and I got off to a rocky start. Well, not quite: I was greeted by a very friendly waitress that promptly brought the menu, a brass mug of water (I don't know why not more restaurants can offer some water in a boiling place like HCMC; costs nothing and is much appreciated), and a face-towel (regrettably of the plastic-wrapped kind which I abhor).

It was when the waitress, who spoke little English, passed the ball to the Indian owner(?) that things got unstuck a little. I ordered a Non-vegetarian Thali and a Mango Lassi.

The Mumtaz is not the cheapest Indian in the Pham Ngu Lao area but I still think prices are reasonable. Starters go from VND 19,000 for Pappadam to VND 70,000 for Fish fingers (at the time of writing USD 1.00 ~ VND 20,2000). Items from the Tandoori oven are from VND 75,000 for "Chicken 65" to VND 190,000 for the full Tandoori Chicken. Vegetable curries will set you back around VND 55,000 with meat curries priced around the VND 80,000 mark.

There is a fairly big selection of Indian breads. Apart from the usual Chapatti and Garlic Naan they also have Parathas and, for example, Rogan Naan which I do not recall having seen in HCMC before.

Beers start at VND 22,000 for a Bia Saigon and the Lassie are VND 35,000. Why an Indian Restaurant would promote a Japanese Beer and not, say Kingfisher, beats me; but if you must have a Sapporo Beer than it is yours for VND 33,000. Probably better than the "French House wine" at VND 280,000 a bottle; I very much doubt that at that prize it is anything else but plonk.

Why Japanese Beer?

Back to what I ordered: the Mango Lassi arrived after 5 minutes or so and turned out to be a Mango Smoothie more than anything else. A very good frozen Mango Smoothie mind; but certainly not a Lassi. The Thali was not quite what I ordered, either. I was looking for the meat in the curry; it took me a little while to realize that what I got was actually the vegetarian Thali. Now I have been accused of many things over the years, but being a hard-core vegetarian was not one of them. It might not be healthy, but give me meat, lots of meat!!!!

I therefore surprised myself by actually really liking the Thali. The presentation was nice and it came with plenty of condiments; something most Indian restaurants in Vietnam do not seem to do. The only condiment that disappointed was the pureed Mango; I do not know if that was supposed to be Mango chutney, but it was certainly tasteless.

Something that cannot be said about the rest of the food. For starters, the food was really hot. I am a bit particular about the temperature of my food. Hot food should be served really hot; I find that Indian and Chinese foods in particular suffer if they are served lukewarm.


Good enough to turn me into a vegetarian (almost).

The Paneer was on the spicy side; a good thing for cottage cheese that tends to be on the bland side. The Daal was maybe a tad on the thin side but that is really nit-picking here. The vegetable curry was excellent, and everything was rounded off with good rice, Raita, a Pappadam and some plain Naan. Actually the Naan could be improved; it appeared as it had been prepared quite some time before and just quickly re-heated.

But overall the restaurant has shot up to my list of "Best Indian Restaurant around Pham Ngu Lao". Admittedly the competition for that title is none to fierce but the food is great. Actually, I am planning to go back tonight and see what their meat dishes are like.


Not much of an interior...

Like most (all) restaurants around PNL there is no need to talk about decor, design, atmosphere; there is none. Doesn't bother me none; I am there for the food. And at least they refrain from putting cheesy pictures of the Taj Mahal or piping in Bollywood sound tracks.


or exterior for that matter.

They do home delivery and they also have a restaurant in Da Nang; if somebody could check it out?

Service: *** Difficult this one: fast and efficient, but maybe they should make a habit of repeating the order.
Food: ****
Ambiance: **
Value for money: ****
Recommended: Yes

6 comments:

  1. well blow me .....i been eating at the little india in bui vien for about a bloddy month now...about 3 times a week in fact....but according to you it is the embodiment of utter crapness so methinks i will be giving that place in your review a try tonight ...thanks for the info mate.

    yeah...have to agree....ho chi minh and all you find within it isnt exactly the most stylish in asia. Unless you are rolling in cash, in which case just about everywhere you go on this planet will be absolutely charming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah yeah, forgot

    if your into wailing bollywood sounds then head for the "bombay" restaurant in dong du street district one....the excellent music is accompanied by a harsh fluorescent interior complete with standard-issue high-backed plastic saigon chairs (sky blue, not the red ones)...there are also 3 powerful standing fans that would dry a drenched woolly mammoth in minutes......food isnt bad but then dont listen to me cos i thought the same about little india....

    note: dont touch any of the magazines on the chief old lady's table or you will be for the high jump.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How was the Muntaz? The Punjabi on Bui Vien is OK as well.

    I never did like the Bombay, when around Dong Khoi, I go to the Saigon - India.

    pittairis

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, the muntaz surpassed expectation...the place was rammed so i had to sit upstairs, which was a bit grim, but the food was great...there was a massive encyclopedic style menu choc full of stuff I didnt know or understand....the staff very helpful and the price was no higher than little india....highly recommend it

    i only eat goat nowadays cos its the only meat that isnt farmed en-mass...in vietnam pigs, cows and chickens are fed crap industrial feed and likely injected with hormones to speed things up...according to locals. goats are just left to eat grass and the like.

    havent tried the saigon indian place...im not the richest expat in vietnam so I have to try keep things within my budget...most stuff around dong khoi I guess is a bit out of my range, except the bombay place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear you liked it. Saigon India is not much more expensive than the Muntaz. Never sat upstairs at the Muntaz, didn't even know they had an upstairs.

    There are a few good meat suppliers around in Vietnam, but I agree that a lot of the meat is crap. Watched ladies injecting water from the Mekong into chicken in Can Tho to make them heavier!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. allright mate

    after giving it some thought, the de tham/bui vien budget backpacker area is a godsend to people like me who live here in saigon.... .....its the only place you can eat something that ISNT vietnamese and doesnt cost an absolute fortune. I was at the Thai food place you mention too and thought it was pretty good, and way cheaper than both the other Thai places I have been to.

    I too am now on a quest to find more decent food in this area. However I will be doing it alone cos my last visit to the mumtaz I had to eat 2 portions of food and 2 big plates of rice..the local woman i invited to go with me couldnt eat her share cos it "smelled wierd"....she couldnt get up the stairs either cos she is a TV and fashion chick with a nosejob, which meant her heels were too high.... i should have known better....

    ReplyDelete